Friday, November 11, 2011

Thoughts on success and happiness

"Success doesn't bring happiness. Happiness brings success."
So often we look to the future with a "grass is always greener on the other side" type of attitude. At least I know I used to do that. But that is what is so great about this whole journey for me. I am FINALLY learning what it takes to find true success and happiness.

It feels like just yesterday I was letting those ideas creep into my mind:
-Once I get married, I will be happy.
-Once I finish college, I will be truly happy.
-As long as I pass this test, I will be a happy camper.
-Once I lose 30 pounds I will be happy.

If you are smiling right now, its probably because you can almost hear yourself saying something along these lines. So much of our lives, especially as women is focused on trying to be as "perfect" as possible. Perfect being a relative term, for who even knows what the REAL definition of it is. 

I have been approached by a few dear friends of mine who double as lovely blog readers. Both have questioned about my secrets of success. They inquired about how I keep going, how I stay motivated. In all honesty... that is a good question. A question that I have been pondering about for some time now. 

Here's the short answer. The one that I've found it all boils down to:

The secret to my success is staying positive. Its about not worrying so much about my success but focusing first (like in the quote I began with) on being happy and optimistic. There have been a few weeks where I have been so down...so inwardly focused. And those were the weeks where I did not find much success at all.

So step 1 that I will share with you today is:

-Stay Happy and Optimistic, It doesn't matter what happened yesterday or even 10 minutes ago. It's all about what you choose to do with your time right NOW.

I've said it before and I will say it again.

The time for change is Always, Always, ALWAYS right NOW. It wasn't this morning, it isn't last week. It is right now. Motivation is something that needs to be RE-APPLIED every single day of our lives. 

A funny quote that supports this is one that I got from a dear friend (and "adopted brother"'s) facebook page.

"People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily." Zig Ziglar

And there you go. 

More secrets to success will come in weeks following.

Keep up the good work!

Guess what?... I am the proud owner of a Planet Fitness Gym pass! This will be great for me to have in the cold winter months in Salt Lake City! I am very excited, my first gym pass EVER.


Don't I look FANTASTIC in the morning?

Anyways...

As always, I thank you for your continued love and support, you all help keep me re-focused and motivated every single day! 
I love and appreciate you!

If you have any questions at all feel free to comment! Eventually I will set up an email address specifically for this blog. I would love to address any questions, ideas or concerns in future posts.



1 comment:

  1. Oh, Syd. I love all of these words. You are so darling. I particularly loved the quote about motivation being like bathing - recommended daily!

    I have been guilty of putting off happiness in the past, but no more!

    ReplyDelete